Sunday, October 21, 2007

I don't want to get old

So my grandma has been having a hard time this past week. She has been overdosing on her meds, and had to go to the ER last Friday night. It's hard because I'm so close to her, and part of me wishes I could be there for her. But the good thing about my grandma (and my mom) is that we can always find humor in the silliest things.

I guess grandma wasn't taking one of her medications that calms her, and she was very anxious and emotional. My mom took her on a walk and when they got back my grandma burst out in tears. My mom was trying to figure out what was wrong, and she said she knew something bad had happened to me and my brother. After some coaxing, my mom found out that she thought I was on drugs (I know, so characteristic of me :)). My mom called me and asked me to reassure my grandma that I wasn't taking drugs and our conversation went something like this:

Grandma: "Kristin, tell me that you're not on drugs."
Kristin: "Grandma, I'm not on drugs."
Grandma: "Are you sure?"
Kristin: "Yep, I promise."
Grandma: "Oh good."

Now, this is a conversation I honestly thought I would never have - especially with my grandma. All the while Alex was sitting in the other room listening to only my end of the conversation...

Anyway, so this whole story reminded me of my old roommate's grandma. Mel's grandma lived near us in Provo, and she would call and leave the most classic messages on our answering machine. "Melanie, this is your grandma." It just brings a smile to my face and reminds me of how I don't want to get old! :)

Here's a picture of Grandma in a hat my mom knit for her a couple of years ago - isn't it great?!

2 comments:

Christa O'Brien said...

Oh...poor grandma! At least they let her out of the glass box in the living room to let her call you on the phone.

On the plus side, I was also concerned you were on drugs, but atleast grandma had the guts to call and ask you!

Melanie Hoopes said...

I love it Kristin - this made me laugh pretty good. I'm so glad that you get to experience a little of the "crazy grandma" stage. And I worked at Great Harvest - besides the cheap labor factor - I loved and still love that store! Perhaps I'll open a franchise!