Sunday, October 14, 2007

Fall is here!

The temperatures have definitely dropped here in Philly. Early last week it was record high temps in the high 80's, and then one day the temperatures were in the low 60's. We're still waiting for the leaves to turn, but I have a feeling it won't be too long until that comes. We tried fresh apple cider donuts yesterday for the first time. We didn't think they tasted a whole lot like apple cider, but Alex ate one while drinking apple cider and he said it was the perfect combination!

On Friday night we made our first visit to the Museum of Art. We ate dinner at the museum restaurant, in which we were surrounded by a lot of "older" people (I think we were the youngest ones there by about 50 years). And then we enjoyed some jazz by a New Orleans style band. It was a great atmosphere! We visited the Japanese tea room in the Asian art wing where they have authentic Japanese buildings, and live plants growing. Very cool!

Saturday we had a ward mission temple trip. We went to Manhattan, and had a great experience. It's so hard to go to Manhattan and not stay to see or do anything! Alex and I keep saying we need to just take a weekend and head to Manhattan to go to a nice restaurant and see a show. And, of course, maybe stop at Canal Street and do some bargain shopping!

I put up all of my Halloween decorations, and now I'm just ready for some trick-or-treaters! I have a feeling I won't be getting any, but I can always hope! Every year since we've been married I've bought bags of candy in hopes of handing them out, and every year we don't get any trick-or-treaters. Maybe we're living in the wrong places, or maybe times are changing. It's so sad because I remember going out to trick-or-treat with my friends, and there were always loads of other kids out. Now when you drive around on Halloween night, you're lucky to see any. So sad.

2 comments:

nathalia said...

I agree about how hard it is just to "see" NYC when the frequency of temple trips takes you to Manhattan every month. And... I also get really excited for trick-or-treaters but we only got ~15 kids last year. I was so excited to see the first group of kids at the door that I probably scared them with my enthusiasm and doting! Now that we're on the 3rd floor my hopes of kiddies in costume are pretty much dashed -- unless Marc and I sit out on our porch.

Christa O'Brien said...

If you ever want to see a show in NYC, I'll give you my sis-in-law's phone number. She's getting her master's at Columbia and can get tickets to shows at half price.

I would take my kids to trick or treat at your house if I knew where you lived.