Wednesday, December 5, 2007

I (heart) NY

Feeling spontaneous? Alex and I were last week. In fact, that's what happens a lot of the time when we take short trips to fun destinations - we (mostly I) suddenly decide that it sounds fun to go to Seattle, or San Francisco, or New York. And then, thanks to Priceline, Southwest, and travel boards (and a wonderful husband who humors my passion for travel), we successfully get a little vacation lined up in no time, and for little money! Sometimes it pays to do last-minute traveling!

I've had the hankering for awhile to get up to New York to enjoy the sites. And, in my opinion, there's nothing better than NY during the holiday season! So on Wednesday I put in a bid for a hotel room for Friday night, and got it. It was right across the street from Ground Zero, and this was our view from our hotel room. It's a pretty humbling experience to look out across the remains there, especially when I have stood in the World Trade Center once before.


We walked over to Rockefeller Center and looked at the grand Christmas tree - along with thousands of other tourists.


We feasted on "authentic" Brazilian cuisine, and then had some fun at the m&m store in Times Square. I think there were 4 floors of m&m paraphernalia. Who knew that there was such an m&m craze?!


Saturday morning we did something totally fun. We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. It's actually pretty amazing to stand in the middle of the bridge and look out in all directions. And the bridge itself is pretty neat. Highly recommended!


And for our final destination on this whirlwind of a trip, Canal Street, aka the place to go for knockoff goods. I've heard stories about going there and being ushered into hidden rooms to look at the knockoffs, so I was a little intimidated. It was definitely an experience! I've decided that I'm just not decisive enough to do that kind of shopping. I like to look at things and deliberate over them. I'm notorious for buying things, looking at them every day for a week, and then deciding to take them back. I have serious buyer's remorse. I did have fun, and ended up getting a couple of things, but Canal Street is probably something I'll save for when my mom or sisters-in-law come out. And now that I know the ropes, I'm happy to go with any of you! :)

5 comments:

Christa O'Brien said...

Ah, yes...Canal Street! I have a very fine Louis Vuitton knock-off my sister-in-law purchesed for me a little bit ago. Sounds like a fun time! I miss the north!

Melanie Hoopes said...

How fun Kristin - made me miss NY - that was one of my favorite trips!! I have a question for you, since you say you are always looking for traveling deals. I could possibly have a few trips coming up and I want to know your travel searching tips!!!

nathalia said...

I love your last minute trips! I'm glad you guys got to experience NYC withOUT the temple. Not that the temple and having members along isn't fun, it just makes the trip focused on only one part of NYC. Sounds like you had fun! After all our many trips to NYC, Marc and I have yet to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge although everyone raves about it!

Sara said...

I've never even thought to walk across the brooklyn bridge, but it sounds like a really fun thing! I'll have to keep that in mind for when I make it back to NYC (someday)... :)

The Nortons said...

So fun Kristin! I am jealous. Sounds like you had a great time.