Friday, December 7, 2007

Fire Safety

So last night Alex was going to teach his scouts about fire safety. As an object lesson, he took one of our smoke detectors so he could show them what it should sound like.

About a half an hour after he left, I was jolted out of my chair by an ear-splitting beeping sound and flashing lights. I honestly thought I was going to die. I ran outside and saw that the whole building was experiencing the same thing. I frantically tried to figure out how to “fix” our missing smoke detector, to no avail. I even had a neighbor come in to try to help me, but he assured me that it wasn’t because of the missing smoke detector.

I finally evacuated the building along with everyone else for a half an hour until the fire department and police came and determined that everything was ok.

I kept thinking how ironic it was that Alex was out teaching his scouts about fire safety while the fire department was at our house. Was it just a coincidence that it happened while our smoke detector was missing? Guess we’ll never know…

0 comments: